Monday, May 20, 2013

All Short and Dumpy Looking

My dear cousin is pregnant. She's 5'10" and very thin and fit, but since becoming pregnant she feels big and fat, and she's always saying so on Facebook.  It can be quite freaky to see your body change like that, even if you're in perfect shape. I'm always trying to encourage her that she is healthy and normal, that her condition is temporary, and to enjoy the experience of growing a human in her body.

Today, one of her friends posted, "At least you're not all short and dumpy looking like Kim Kardashian."

I'm calling bullshit on this statement in a million different ways. This kind of thinking is the problem, and it's why my cousin feels fat in the first place. This kind of statement breaks down the fabric of sisterhood. I know she was just trying to make her friend feel better, but what she actually said was that tall pregnant people are more attractive, and thus better, than short "dumpy" people. So, so offensive, and so, so superficial and rude.

My response, because I couldn't help myself: "I was/am short and dumpy looking but who cares - I grew a human and my body is amazing because of it."

My point? Not that I am inferior for not being tall and thin, but that all bodies that grow babies in them are wonderful and amazing. It doesn't matter what they're shaped like! We need to take that to heart, women! It's wrong to judge each other and tear each other down like that. What's the point? I am 100% sure it didn't make my cousin feel one bit better about her changing self.

I may be short (absolutely nothing I can do about it) and "dumpy" (a matter of opinion) like Kim Kardashian (who is no role model by any means, but still a beautiful pregnant woman who deserves respect), but I am not shallow and ignorant. I know real beauty when I see it. And for this, I am very thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Sistah! I'm glad you posted something and will make that woman think twice next time.

    ReplyDelete