Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Medical Emergency

I was at an airport tonight, all the way across the country, missing my girl with every fiber in my body.

I sat down and noticed a little backpack sitting all by itself a couple of seats down. We're supposed to be suspicious of such things, but when I saw a mom and her two girls come to claim it, I thought to myself, no mom is going to subject her babies to a bomb in a backpack.

This mom proceeded to change both girls' clothes, I'm guessing about 2 and 5, into matching super-warm jammies. Then she brushed their hair lovingly. They were adorable. It made me miss my girl all that much more. She then made a phone call while the girls were bouncing all over the place.

Don't worry, I thought to that mom in my mind, I am not at all bothered by them. They seem like good babies and it's a handful to bring kids in the airport. She got dirty looks from some people, like why don't you control your kids, but I noticed something else going on. All the other moms around, including myself, were keeping good eyes on them, so they didn't get too far from their mom. This was all unspoken, and automatic. Moms have each other's backs like this. It's instinct. I do this all the time in public without even thinking about it.

We finally got on the plane and I am SO GLAD to be on my way home. About an hour into the trip, the plane was diverted to Toronto due to a medical emergency. This is always disturbing. I wanted to be home so badly!

I found out that it was this mother who was having chest pains. She didn't speak any English, and she is traveling alone with the two girls and nine pieces of luggage. I can barely handle the sadness of this situation, and I can't imagine what she must be feeling.

Now we are on our way home, but she is in yet another strange country, probably in a hospital, 4,000 miles from her husband, who was supposed to pick them up. Who is watching her girls? How is she going to get home? Is she going to be ok? All of these questions are haunting me, and I am so tired but there is no way I will sleep.

I wanted to hop off the plane with her and just hold those babies and tell them that it would be ok. I wanted to stay with her the whole time until she got back home. I don't know anything about that woman, but I know what it's like to love your baby. I know how hard it is to travel with kids. I know the fear of thinking if something happens to me, what will happen to my child?

The worst part is, I can't do anything for her but pray. When I get home I'm going to get my baby out of her bed, take her into mine, and cuddle her with all my might. Life is so unpredictable, and you never know, and all you have is this one moment to make the most of.

No comments:

Post a Comment