Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Three Year Old Says

I've been collecting some pretty funny, and surprising, sayings from my darling girl. Every time I think she should watch her mouth, I think that I should watch my own mouth. And so it continues...

One morning, I woke up to the sound of A in her room, rummaging around, saying:
"I can't find my binky! I'm freaking out!"

Every time I try to comb her hair, especially when it's wet, she will cry:
"You're making me crazy!"

This one is a little disturbing, but I think maybe it was caused by pine needles from the Christmas tree?
"There's a needle in my pants!" 
After an exhaustive search, no offending needle was found.

Every time I leave the house, I hear A in her sweet voice, pleading:
"Can I go with you?"

This one makes me smile a little, but it doesn't amuse her Daddy very much, especially when it's applicable:
"Daddy's a grouch!"

And then there's this. I am not taking the blame for this one, because I very rarely say this version of the f word. She, however, applies it to many things. Daddy gets the dagger eyes from me on this one, because I think he started it and it makes us all sound like very disrespectful people.
"I don't want no fricken juice!"
"Turn off the fricken light!"

She knows it's not cool. We were out in the yard the other day and a neighbor was using a power tool.
"Mama, what's that fricken noise?"
Me, trying to keep a straight, stern face: "What is the word you are not supposed to say?"
A, head down: "Fricken. I'm not supposed to say fricken......but what is that fricken noise?"

We're working on that one, and trying to explain why it's ok to say "freaking" but not "fricken". I always thought I had a good grasp on the English language, but the subtleties are killing me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment