Tuesday, December 10, 2013

It's Lunch!

Ever since A started preschool, I've kicked lunch up a notch. I'm not sure why I feel so serious about it, but I do. I searched for a while for just the right lunch box. I make it a point to make her lunch myself so that everything can be healthy, colorful and nicely arranged. One night J started cutting stuff up for her lunch, and I heard myself tell him, "But, J, that's not right. You need to do it bento style." For real, I said this. I'm not sure if A even notices, but it matters to me.

Organic juice box, carrots, mandarin oranges, peanut butter & jelly mini-sandwich,
granola bar, pirates booty (veggie flavor)

Of course I love my baby, but I also really like being this girl's mom. It means a lot to me to do it right, and even to do it with some sort of style. Maybe it's a little overkill in preschool, but it's never too early to have a fun lunch, in my opinion.

I remember making my own lunch when I was a kid. I remember very vividly the last sandwich I made myself in first grade. It was peanut butter and banana. By the time I got to eat it the banana had gotten nasty. From then on, I'm pretty sure I just bought lunch. It's not that my mom didn't want to do it right, or do it with some sort of style, but she worked full time and she had three kids going on, so she just plain didn't have time.

I always intend to make time to make lunch count. It's part of expressing my joy in being a mom. These little things count, even if it only counts to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment