Monday, August 5, 2013

You Can't Go Back

I was at the Honey Bear Bakery the other day. All the girls that worked there are so cute and nice and...young. I started to fantasize about quitting my job and going to work at the Honey Bear Bakery.

How nice that would be to not have too much responsibility, to work around all those nice young people and the delicious smell of pastries and coffee all day. And then, when you go home after a 4 or a 6 or an 8 hour shift, you're all done! No constant email, no calls from your grouchy clients or freaked out co-workers. Ah, heaven. Working at the Honey Bear must be just like heaven.

When I worked in food service when I was a kid, I dreamed of having a super important "real job" someday, with benefits and lots of money and respect. And look at me now! Here I am! An honest-to-goodness career with benefits and (some) money and (occasional) respect.

I don't want really to give up my career (or my house, because I'd no longer be able to afford it) and go work at a bakery! The longing was about being young again, but that time is gone. I can still cruise by the bakery and enjoy the coffee and pastries being served to me, but I have to be sure not to linger too long or I will slip into sad, nostalgic, creepy lady. I want my middle aged-ness to have some sort of dignity, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment