Thursday, June 20, 2013

Deep Thought of the Day

I'm sitting in a room right now with several bajillionaires. I had a fleeting thought about checking my bank account, and then I had this thought, which I'm kind of stuck on: I bet these suckers have a hell of a lot more than $600 in their checking accounts.

And this led me to another thought: I work damn hard. I support my family and live a pretty average middle class lifestyle. I don't go on elaborate vacations, especially the ones with sand and surf. In fact, I have very little leisure time at all. I don't own any expensive fancy toys or have a nice wardrobe. My kid won't go to private school or get a brand new car on her 16th birthday. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get enough money to get the 70 ft tall trees in my yard trimmed so they don't fall on my house. So what does all this hard work get me? Survival, I guess.

I'm not going to say that I work as hard as some of the surrounding bajillionaires, and I certainly don't take the risks they do to get to that position. And that's ok. There's a trade off for having a bajillion dollars, for sure. But the thing that gets me is that I'm essentially working for the same thing they are - to make them rich. It's my job to make sure they look good doing their jobs.

I've had a pretty satisfying and steady career in the corporate world, and the corporate world is set up as a hierarchy. It's not set up for the common man to get rich. I get that. But at the end of my day, I can't help but wonder what it's all worth.

And that, is my deep thought of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment