Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Tale of Patience

It seems like she has more and more tricks every day. But as we know, tricks don't get mastered in one day. We might know this, but she is not yet savvy to this wisdom.

One day she was stretching her little leg up to get on the couch, and the next day she was climbing on with no assistance. It's amazing, and a little scary, to see such seemingly quick progress on major milestones. If she can do this today, what will she be climbing tomorrow? The shelves, getting in the bathtub, or attempting the fridge? Mmm hmmmm, that's exactly what she's going for. She's very ambitious! The status quo is just not acceptable.

With this ambition, however, comes a decent amount of frustration. I don't know if this is "normal" or not, but she gets really impatient and pissed off if she can't do something. I don't know if this impatience is something that she was born with, or something that I've passed on to her, or if it's just part of growing. It concerns me sometimes, though.

It's a slippery slope, like so many things in parenthood. I want to help her so she doesn't get all worked up, but I also want her to learn to do it herself. Just this morning she was playing with some photographs, and a couple of them fell flat on the ground. She doesn't know yet how to peel something so you can pick it up and this, in particular, drives her into a tizzy. I try to encourage her by saying "You can do it! Don't get mad." but it doesn't really help. I then show her how to do it and try to get her to do it herself with the other one. Eventually, she will master this trick too.

It takes an amazing amount of patience from my side as well. I think that maybe she is teaching me how to be a more patient person and through this maybe I can help her be a more patient person. I see how this cycle works, and I kind of love it. Baby steps indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment