Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dragons!

When I was a little girl, I spent all of my time drawing and writing stories. My specialties were castles, and their blueprints (not kidding), and families. I would draw portraits of huge made-up families, everyone resembling each other. I was a strange kid.

I always thought I'd grow up to be a writer or an artist, but somehow in my mission to prove I could be "successful" I lost all that to practicality. It's a shame, really. I left high school thinking that people didn't really make a living writing or drawing, so I pursued the next best thing (?) - video. Now I manage people who write and draw and make better livings than I at it. Go figure.

But sometimes I still allow myself to write something or draw something, and it makes me happy to the core. Lately (as in the last couple of years lately), I've been enjoying drawing dragons from a kit that I bought at Fred Meyer for my nephew. I thought - wait a minute, this looks fun!! So I kept it. Sorry Blake.

Here are my masterpieces.

Water Dragon - drawn with pen.

This is a Wyvern. It's unfinished because the medium was watercolor, and I'm not very good at it, and I lost patience. I also had a baby the week after I started it so I lost interest too. Maybe I will finish him someday.


I am very proud of this wicked beast - the Fafnir in various stages.


After all that shading, I think I'll just dream up a nice poem or something next...

No comments:

Post a Comment