Friday, November 16, 2012

He Likes 'Em Young

Many disturbing things went through my mind this week, and the accusation against Kevin Clash was one of them. Mr. Clash has been the mastermind behind the Sesame Street character Elmo for almost 30 years. He has been so influential in transforming this character that they did a documentary about him called Being Elmo. It's good - you should check it out.

I am an old-school Sesame Street fan. I've watched that show since I was A's age, way back in the beginning. They didn't have the squeaky-voiced Elmo back in those days. When Elmo really started to become famous with a massive following in the '80's and '90's, I have to say I just didn't get it. He was just plain annoying and he overshadowed all the OG characters - Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Oscar, Grover, Cookie Monster...

But now that A is enjoying him, and since I've seen the documentary, I am warming up to the little red fellow. I see how loving he is to the fellow characters on the show. It's amazing how A is taking that example and treating her dolls, animals and us with similar affection. I have to say I almost like Elmo now.

Someone recently came out and accused Mr. Clash of taking advantage of them sexually when they were 16. Kevin Clash is an openly gay man and apparently he likes them young. He responded saying that it was not true, and that they had a relationship between two consenting adults when the guy was 18 and he was 45. There was a big investigation and he took a leave from Sesame Street, although the accuser recanted the story the next day.

There is so much disturbing about this, and mostly I just wish that it had all remained private. His being gay - who cares. That doesn't have anything to do with anything in my opinion. But the fact that he was involved with someone so young to start with, that's the part that makes me a little bit uncomfortable. 16 or 18, it doesn't really matter. The law draws the line at 18, but either way you slice it that guy was a kid. What kid has the maturity for a relationship with a middle-aged man? I'm going to go ahead and say no kid does. It's not an equal playing field.

Ok, so I do get the part about attraction. Lots of men (Most men? All men?), gay or straight, love to look at and fantasize about young people because youth is beautiful and alluring. Sure. But I think what makes the man is whether they act upon it or not. I'm sorry, I don't see how that can be an equal union, or that the older man doesn't seriously have the advantage in so many ways. How could he not be taking advantage of a kid?

Does that make Kevin Clash a predator? I don't know. I don't want to believe that about him because I respect what he's created and how he's benefitted generations of kids. Does it make me want to boycott Sesame Street or Elmo? Not really. I don't see how this scandal has anything to do with the integrity of the show or the character. Should he have so much power to influence children? Again, I don't know. I think that's up to the judgment of his employers, whom I would trust to make the right call.

I do know that he is guilty of some extremely bad judgment, and that he is probably evaluating his actions and how they have affected, well, everyone who knows about this. I just wish I had never heard about it. We need role models who are on the level with us, and they seem mighty rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment