Friday, July 13, 2012

The Only One

I had a conversation with someone today that went something like this:

Guy: She's 20 months old now. Time to get started on #2.

Me (stock answer): Oh no, we're good with one. We got started too late.

Guy: I don't know about people with just one...

Ok, so what is up with that? It is implied that there is something wrong with us, and/or that we are going to screw her up by not giving her siblings. I have this same conversation more often than I like. Once is really too much for me.

We aren't selfish or irresponsible for having just one. We were blessed with her and we are good with it. Really. She fits into our life perfectly. This is what we have capacity for and we are going to do our best to do it right. She's a happy girl with the total devotion from both parents. How can that be a bad thing?

Is it an American thing that more is better? I don't know, and I don't subscribe to that philosophy. One is fine for us, and that's ok. Ok?

1 comment:

  1. OMG! That is appalling. The things people say. Having one (or none) is so okay and we (the people of the world) should support that. More is NOT better when it comes to kids. At least that is how I feel about it. Hope you and your one are doing well on your travels.

    ReplyDelete