Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Girl Ruined My Hair (or The Grass Is Greener)

I was born with thick straight brown hair. I always wanted curly, full-of-body hair instead. Even when I tried to manufacture the ideal look with a perm, you could barely tell because my hair was so heavy. Eventually I gave all that up and came to see my hair as a blessing. It didn't do many tricks but it was shiny and healthy and long. This worked for me for years and years, and I came to take it for granted. I had good hair pride and I assumed that it would always be this way.

One of the great things about life is that there is never a shortage of surprises. When I was pregnant, my hair started to develop a wiry wave in the back, underneath the top layer of my straight hair. This fluffed it out a little bit and I enjoyed running my fingers through it. I chalked it up to crazy pregnancy hormones.

Well, the hair is still that way, and the fluff appears to be spreading. When it's wet, I like looking at the curls, but when it dries it's a fluffy, frizzy, uncontrollable mess. My expensive haircut no longer applies. I feel like a reckless clown. Is this permanent? This is a classic case of be careful what you ask for!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to resort to some sort of hair control methods. I've always been reluctant (too lazy) to employ these types of things because honestly I'm overwhelmed by all the choices (and too uninterested in putting effort into research). I've always felt that beauty products are kind of like the emperor's new clothes. They are expensive, and my discipline is fickle.

This is all neither here nor there, but it does mark a new hair era for me. It reminds me that I need to stay flexible with my self-image as I slowly slip into old age, where many more surprises await.

No comments:

Post a Comment